ILOILO City – The National Telecommunications Commission (NTC) is granting a general amnesty for unregistered radio equipment this year, according to Regional Director Nestor Antonio Monroy.
For Western Visayas, Monroy said the period of the general amnesty will be from March 11 to 15.
The fees for the registration are as follows:
* VHF/UHF Radio Portable -- P300
* VHF/ UHF Mobile/Base -- P500
* HF Radio/Equipment/VHF/UHF Repeater -- P500
* WDN Central Base Outdoor Equipment -- P3,000
* WDN Subscriber/Remote Outdoor Equipment -- P2,000
* Microwave/Multi Channel Radios -- P3,000.
Aside from the registration of illegally possessed radio equipment, NTC Region 6 will also be accepting renewals of expired radio station licenses without surcharges/penalty fine during the period of the general amnesty.
Monroy said there will also be a general amnesty in the provinces in coordination with local government units.
NTC will bring its team to pre-designated places on the following dates:
* Roxas City, Capiz – March 11
* San Jose, Antique – March 12
* Kalibo, Aklan – March 13
* Boracay Island, Aklan – March 14
* Kabankalan City, Negros Occidental – March 12
* San Carlos City, Negros Occidental. – March 14.
NTC-6 will also conduct seminars for proper usage of radio transceivers, which is one of the licensing requirements, and mobile licensing on other services particularly for business enterprises engaged in selling and repair of cellular phones.
Monroy said this move of the NTC is pursuant to its thrust is to abate the proliferation of unregistered radio equipment, and in order to afford the owners, possessors or users an opportunity to comply with existing rules and regulations on the use of this kind of communications equipment.
The Memorandum Order setting forth the guidelines for the general amnesty was issued by NTC Commissioner Gamaliel A. Cordoba in November of 2012 yet. (PIA-6/PN)