Panay News Philippines - BEST REGIONAL NEWSPAPER IN THE PHILIPPINES

YOU ARE HERE: Region Cebu Customs head leaves post

Cebu Customs head leaves post

E-mail Print PDF

By LORENZO DELA CERNA

CEBU City — Port of Cebu District Collector Edward dela Cuesta has left his post in view of Customs Commissioner Ruffy Biazon’s memorandum directing all district and sub-port collectors to relinquish their positions.

Biazon has ordered Customs collectors to give up their current assignments in writing on or before July 29 as part of moves to clean up the bureau.

During a flag-raising ceremony yesterday, dela Cuesta told his staff he still heads the Port of Cebu until Biazon assigns an officer-in-charge or a permanent replacement.

Roberto Sacramento, deputy collector for assessment, urged the port’s rank and file employees to continue their daily functions. Port of Cebu has a collection target of about P50 million daily or about P9.5 billion annually.

Biazon, who is expected to come to Cebu today for the Customs’ 112th founding anniversary celebration, earlier said his order was directed to 17 “kings of Customs.” So far, 12 port collectors have given up their posts.

Sub-port of Mactan Collector Paul Alcazaren has relinquished his post, too. He told Panay News he sent Biazon a text message, while his official letter was sent to the commissioner via a courier service.

Port of Cebu has achieved its P8.6-billion annual collection target last year.

Biazon also recognized then Port Collector Ronnie Silvestre for the port’s achievement during the Customs’ 111th founding anniversary celebration held at the Malacañang Sa Sugbo here.

The event also marked the end of Silvestre’s leadership and the takeover of dela Cuesta. Under dela Cuesta, the port has already surpassed its third-quarter collection target for this year.

NEW CCPO CHIEF

Meanwhile, the Cebu City Police Office now has a new leader in Senior Supt. Noli Romana.

Camp Crame’s Senior Officers Placement Board on Thursday last week approved Mayor Michael Rama’s request for Romana’s appointment, Senior Supt. Eduard Caranza, Police Regional Office 7 (PRO–7) chief of staff, said yesterday.

Caranza said Romana, who will replace Senior Supt. Mariano Natuel, may report to his new post within the week.

Rama’s request to have Romana lead the city police became controversial after former PRO–7 director, Chief Supt. Marcelo Garbo, expressed opposition to it.

Garbo has denounced Romana’s failure to carry out anti-illegal drug and illegal gambling operations during his stint as Negros Oriental provincial police chief./PN